Mock draft: Take 2
I've taken an informal poll of all the player agents I've spoken with over the last few days, including one with a potential top-five pick, and all predict that the Lions will take Matt Stafford No. 1 overall. No one's saying it's a done deal, but there are plenty of whispers around the league. That's why I'm sticking with Stafford at the top of my second mock draft. There's still two weeks to change, and I'll do my final mock two Fridays from now, but I'd be moderately surprised if the Lions end up drafting anyone other than Stafford.
As for the rest of my mock? There's a few changes from the one I put out two weeks ago, including who the Lions take at Nos. 20 and 33.
1. Lions: QB Matt Stafford, Georgia Will be on the Carson Palmer plan as a rookie.
2. Rams: OT Jason Smith, Baylor Smith or Eugene Monroe is the pick here.
3. Chiefs: OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia Scott Pioli's been quiet, but Matt Cassel needs protection.
4. Seahawks: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest Curry replaces Julian Peterson.
5. Browns: DE Brian Orakpo, Texas Browns need pass-rushing help.
6. Bengals: OT Andre Smith, Alabama Smith didn't fall too much after all.
7. Raiders: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech Crabtree's no Calvin Johnson.
8. Jacksonville: WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri Matt Jones didn't work out, maybe Maclin will.
9. Packers: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College Big nosetackle will haunt Lions for years to come.
10. 49ers: QB Mark Sanchez, USC Big pro day gets Sanchez into top 10.
11. Bills: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss Look for a Jason Peters trade; Lions should at least inquire.
12. Broncos: OLB Everette Brown, Florida State Brown or Maybin, pick your preference.
13. Redskins: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee Need an end after Jason Taylor's release.
14. Saints: LB Brian Cushing, USC Secondary is more of a need, but Cushing's a player.
15. Texans: CB Malcolm Jenkins, OSU Can play corner or safety.
16. Chargers: OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State Best player left on the board.
17. Jets: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State I'm not convinced Freeman won't slide to bottom of round.
18. Broncos: LB Rey Maualuga, USC Denver might actually be able to stop someone next year.
19. Buccaneers: DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss New-look Bucs need help up front.
20. Lions: LB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State With Maualuga gone, Lions can't risk getting a LB later.
21. Eagles: RB Beanie Wells, Ohio State Eagles have their pick of RBs here.
22. Vikings: OT Eben Britton, Arizona Vikings need a fix at right tackle.
23. Patriots: LB Clay Matthews, USC Third USC backer in Round 1.
24. Falcons: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State Ryan's favorite receiver the next 10 years.
25. Dolphins: CB Darius Butler, UConn Dolphins will take best player available.
26. Ravens: WR Percy Harvin, Florida Time to get Flacco some weapons.
27. Colts: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU Great value if Jackson slides this far.
28. Eagles: DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech Jim Johnson will turn him loose.
29. Giants: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland With Plaxico gone, Giants need a WR.
30. Titans: DT Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State Albert Haynesworth's replacement.
31. Cardinals: RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia Edge is done in Arizona.
32. Steelers: C Alex Mack, Cal Steelers need to keep Roethlisberger upright.
33. Lions: DT Evander Hood, Missouri Should start from Day 1.
In: CB Darius Butler, UConn, OT Eben Britton, DE Michael Johnson
Out: OLB Connor Barwin, CB Vontae Davis, RB Donald Brown