ALLEN PARK — Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best will not be returning to football soon.
The Lions issued a statement early Monday night: “After today’s consultation with medical experts, including representatives from our medical and training staffs, it has been determined that Jahvid will not be permitted to return to play at this time,” Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew said.
“Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint,” Mayhew continued. “While today’s decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation.
“Jahvid will continue to work with our medial and training staffs with the hope that he ultimately will be cleared to return to the playing field.”
Best was within the time frame that if cleared for contact, he could have come off the physically unable to perform list this week.
He suffered his concussion on Oct. 16, 2011, and has not played since. He was able to participate in off-season organized team activities because they were non-contact.
He’s worked hard in the gym and coach Jim Schwartz said last week that Best is in better shape than he was as a rookie.
Best underwent the tests a week ago and was hopeful he would be cleared. He said he has not had a symptom in months.