Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

10/11/2012

Detroit Lions Jahvid Best hopeful he'll be back to work next week


ALLEN PARK — Jahvid Best is hopeful that he’ll be cleared for contact after taking a battery of concussion tests on Monday.

 The Lions running back, who suffered a concussion nearly a year ago, will get the test results on Friday.

   “I can’t give you my opinion on how it went I’m just hopeful for the best tomorrow,’’ Best said on Thursday.

 He said it was an hours-long process.

 “It felt like I was taking SAT,’’ said Best whose last concussion test was three months ago.

 If he’s cleared for contact, he could start practicing next week and possibly play in the Monday night game at Chicago on Oct. 22.

 “I’m definitely physically ready when I get out there and practice and everything. I haven’t played the game in a long time, we’ll see how I feel when I get out there and practice,’’ Best said. “I’m pretty sure it will be easy.’’

  Other NFL players have sustained concussions and been cleared to play much faster. Best was concussed on Oct. 16, 2011.

 “It’s case by case, I don’t know what was going on with them, in my situation it was a little more difficult,’’ said Best who would not be more specific.

 It’s been months since he’s suffered any symptoms. He was able to participate in organized team activities in the offseason because there was no contact. Best was a standout in those workouts.

 Coach Jim Schwartz said that Best is in better shape than he was as a rookie.

 “I’ve been working out like an animal, I had nothing else to do,’’ Best said. “As far as being in physical shape I’m ready to go.’’

 The Lions have been getting by with the run game, but could certainly use an explosive presence like Best. Last season the Lions were 5-1 in the games Best played in and 5-5 when he was sidelined.

 He’s a little cautious discussing how he could jump-start the offense.

“We’ll see when I get back out there. I know I can go out there and make a difference, but whether or not that difference will translate to whatever it translates we’ll see,’’ Best said.

 (Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. E-mail her at Paula.Pasche@oakpress.com.)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home