Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/18/2015

Duke's Laken Tomlinson compares to Lions' Larry Warford


INDIANAPOLIS — Two things about Laken Tomlinson: He watches Lions right guard Larry Warford to pick up tips and if he doesn’t make it in the NFL he could have a future in neurosurgery.

The Duke offensive guard has no plans, however, to fail in the NFL.

He’s a projected second-day pick before the Combine workouts.


It’s unknown if the Lions will bring back left guard Rob Sims which could be a good fit for Tomlinson.

“One of the things I want to market to all the teams is I’m one hell of a player and making a choice in me is probably the best investment they can make,’’ Tomlinson said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. “I want to come in and be an immediate starter and have an immediate impact on the team.’’

He said he’s been compared to Warford, who has started for the Lions for two years.

“I’ve had some comparison to him, some people have said, ‘Oh you play like this guy.’ OK, let me go check him out and see how he plays,’’ Tomlinson said. “I watched tape on him and saw resemblance in my own technique so I continually watch more film on him. He has really nimble feet.’’

Tomlinson said the Lions have talked to him this week.

“Some of my strengths are I play with fundamentals, I play with great pad leverage and I’m a hell of a nasty player,’’ said Tomlinson who had a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

He’s also incredibly smart. At Duke he’s a pre-med and a psychology and evolutionary anthropology double major.

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book,  “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home