Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

4/13/2010

DeVries thrilled to be back with Lions

It says something about Jared DeVries that after 11 seasons with the Lions, the veteran defensive end is thrilled to be back. DeVries signed a one-year $1.7 million contract on Monday, after being unsure of his future since the Lions released him in early March.

He knows he’ll have to compete to start at left defensive end and he is up for the challenge. DeVries started 29 games from 2006 to 2008.

“Well my vision is to be the starting left end, but obviously I’ll have to compete for that like I do every year. That would have been my role last year had I not gotten hurt, but like I said, it’s good to be back around the fellas and the competition is good and I look forward to it,’’ DeVries said in a conference call on Monday.

DeVries tore his Achilles in training camp last August and was out for the whole season. He said he participated 100 percent in workouts on Monday.

“Whatever the guys did, I did. I said that all along. The Achilles is the not the problem. There’s some calf strength that I’m still working on daily, but if we had to play tomorrow, I think I could go out there and compete,’’ he said.

DeVries said he thought the Lions had been concerned about his Achilles, even though he felt all along he would be back 100 percent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home