(Until training camp starts at the end of July, Lions Lowdown will post five times a week using the list format.)
1. Patrick Edwards had a solid early training camp last year, but then seemed to fade. He needs to stay healthy. If he does he has a great shot at making the roster. He’s gotten votes of confidence from Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson after having a good showing in OTAs and minicamp.
2. Mike Thomas was acquired in a trade last season after Burleson broke his leg. Thomas didn’t seem to fit in the offense but he was stepping in without the benefit of an offseason. He needs to have a solid training camp.
3. Corey Fuller was drafted in the sixth round. He’s a speedster because originally he was a track athlete. He’s raw with limited football experience. He could be a candidate for the practice squad.
4. Kris Durham, who is 6-foot-6, played with Matthew Stafford at Georgia. He was on the Lions’ practice squad last year, then called up for four games. He started three of those and finished with eight catches for 125 yards and a touchdown. He made an amazing one-handed catch for 27 yards against the Packers at Lambeau. It’s on YouTube.
5. Micheal Spurlock, a veteran, was signed before minicamp. He has a strong chance to make roster due to his special teams skills.
Others in the running: Terrence Austin, Devin Thomas and Cody Wilson.