Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

4/16/2013

Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford focused on football, not contract talks


ALLEN PARK — While contract extension talks continue for Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford that is not his focus at the moment.

 His focus is being totally prepared when then season starts. 

  That doesn’t mean he’s not interested in extending his career in Detroit. He has two years remaining on his current contract.

 “I would love to, obviously I love being here, I love this team, I would love to bring a winner here,’’ Stafford said Tuesday morning. “My No. 1 focus this offseason was trying to do everything I could to help us win. 

“The contract stuff will take care of itself. I’m really honestly not too involved with it. If something gets done, something gets done. We’ll figure it out from there, I’m just trying to get ready for the season,’’ Stafford added.

 While Stafford been working out at the Lions’ practice facility for months, the official offseason workout program started Monday.

 Stafford’s presence has allowed him to talk to free agents, such as Reggie Bush, to convince them to sign with the Lions.

 “It’s easier for me to talk to a free agent about football and life in Detroit and all that in this organization it’s not easy for me to talk about addendums in a contract and all that stuff,’’ Stafford said. “It’s something I know better. Contracts as far as those go, I don’t know everything there is to know about them, that’s why you hire an agent.’’

  He is excited about adding Bush to the offense for two reasons.

 “I think he’s a weapon, he can be really good for us,’’ Stafford said. “I’m obviously excited about the tape I watched on him and all that and seeing what he can do with the ball in his hands.

 “At the same time I’m excited about what he’s bringing off the field in the leadership category. He’s a guy, a veteran that’s done it, he understands what it takes to win, he’s been on both sides of it ... he knows what it takes which is exciting and brings another veteran presence on the offensive side of the ball,’’ Stafford added.

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book,  “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home