Mock draft 1.0
My first mock draft was supposed to run tomorrow, the four-week mark until the draft. But I'm headed out of town this weekend so I figured I'd post it a day early.
I'll have another one in two weeks and then a final mock to be mocked just before the draft. This isn't necessarily how I'd pick I'd lean towards Jason Smith or Aaron Curry at No. 1 but rather what I see teams doing in the first round (and, in the Lions' case, with the first pick of Round 2). I'm sure much will change in the coming weeks so don't take this as gospel, but I'm interested in your thoughts on what the Lions will (or should) do at 1, 20 and 33.
1. Lions: QB Matt Stafford, Georgia Seems the most likely scenario at this point.
2. Rams: OT Jason Smith, Baylor Smith or Eugene Monroe is the pick here.
3. Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest Another brick for the Martin Mayhew-Scott Pioli debate.
4. Seahawks: OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia Walter Jones has one or two good years left.
5. Browns: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College If Shaun Rogers is unhappy, draft his replacement.
6. Bengals: OT Andre Smith, Alabama It's early, I know, but the Bengals are desperate for a tackle.
7. Raiders: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech Al Davis loves him some skill guys.
8. Jacksonville: WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri Matt Jones didn't work out, maybe Maclin will.
9. Packers: OLB Everette Brown, Florida State Pack will have their pick of 3-4 rushers.
10. 49ers: DE Brian Orakpo, Texas Best value on board for defensive-minded Singletary.
11. Bills: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss Would start at guard, then move to tackle
12. Broncos: LB Brian Cushing, USC Assuming Cutler's still around, defense is biggest need.
13. Redskins: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee Need an end after Jason Taylor's release.
14. Saints: CB Malcolm Jenkins, OSU Jenkins mini-slide stops here.
15. Texans: CB Vontae Davis, Illinois And Dunta Robinson plays 2009 on a one-year deal.
16. Chargers: OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State Insurance for Shawne Merriman.
17. Jets: QB Mark Sanchez, USC Jets get their QB of the future.
18. Bears: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland Fastest receiver in the draft.
19. Buccaneers: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State New coach Raheem Morris was at KSU.
20. Lions: LB Rey Maualuga, USC April 1 pro day is big for Maualuga.
21. Eagles: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State McNabb wants weapons.
22. Vikings: C Alex Mack, Cal Replaces Matt Birk for the next decade.
23. Patriots: OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati Hazel Park native seems like a Belichick guy.
24. Falcons: LB Clay Matthews, USC Brooking and Boley are gone, OLB is a need.
25. Dolphins: DT Evander Hood, Missouri Best tackle available after Raji.
26. Ravens: WR Percy Harvin, Florida Time to get Flacco some weapons.
27. Colts: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU Laurinaitis is a possibility here, too.
28. Eagles: RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia Eagles have their pick of RBs here.
29. Giants: RB Donald Brown, UConn Brown's the perfect compliment to Jacobs.
30. Titans: DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi Albert Haynesworth's replacement.
31. Cardinals: RB Chris Wells, Ohio State Edge is done in Arizona.
32. Steelers: OT Eben Britton, Arizona Steelers need to keep Roethlisberger upright.
33. Lions: DT Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State Don't forget the name come draft day.