Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/17/2009

Orlovsky 'excited about free agency'

Quarterback Dan Orlovsky said Tuesday he wants to remain a Lion, but does not expect to come to terms on a new deal before he becomes a free agent Feb. 27.

“I'm excited about free agency,” Orlovsky said. “I'm not stupid. I know no one's going to say come in and be our starting quarterback, but I'm still young. I'm only 25 so I'm excited there are some teams interested in me as a young guy with some experience and see where it takes me.”

Orlovsky started seven games for the Lions last year and was the most effective of the five quarterbacks to see playing time. As an unrestricted free agent, he could interest teams like Buffalo, St. Louis and Seattle.

He did not want to comment on Daunte Culpepper's renegotiated contract or comments attributed to him through former Lions receiver Mike Furrey on Sirius radio last week that the team wants to re-sign him as a backup. But Orlovsky did reiterate his long-professed stance that his preference is to return to the Lions and compete for the starting job.

“Being completely honest, I want to be back there,” he said. “People think I'm crazy for saying that. Who would not want to play with Calvin (Johnson)? That's the brutal truth of the situation. But I also want to be part of the change.

“My home is there, I know the team, I know the players, I want to be part of it.”

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reality is that Orlovsky could beat out Culpepper for the starting position based upon how Orlo played when healthy vs. Culpepper.

5:07 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^disagree.^

i think pep will regain some of the magic he had with moss in minny. if orlo thinks he's gonna start on some other team, then he really is 'being stupid.' he's a backup, period.

5:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave -

what are the chances the houshman lands here as the #2 behind CJ?

10:28 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who would not want to play with Calvin (Johnson)? That's the brutal truth of the situation."

DanO is no dummy. It's too bad he'll be saddled with that running-out-of-the-end-zone "highlight" for the rest of his career, but I could certainly live with him beating out Culpepper in camp and starting the '09 season.

(And for the record, I'm against drafting Stafford.)

2:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home