No decision on Kitna yet
While team president Tom Lewand said the Lions are prepared to go forward with Daunte (Culpepper) in our quarterback mix, no decision appears to have been made (or at least conveyed) about Jon Kitna's future under center.
Kitna is due a $1-million roster bonus in early March I previously and erroneously reported it was $500,000, but escalators achieved earlier in the contract doubled its value and though the Lions have plenty of cap space it seems unlikely they'd be willing to pay that amount if they're intent on starting Culpepper and/or drafting a rookie No. 1 overall.
Lions coach Jim Schwartz said whether or not the team re-signs Dan Orlovsky will have no bearing on Kitna's status, and Lewand shook his head in agreement as Schwartz spoke. He also declined to reveal any internal evaluations on any of the five quarterbacks who played last year.
Kitna started four games (and all of the previous two seasons) before going on injured reserve in mid-October with back problems. Orlovsky made seven starts despite a serious thumb injury, and Culpepper signed midseason and immediately started the next five games before a shoulder injury cut short his season. Drew Stanton and Drew Henson also are under contract.
We want to keep all options open and a lot of that depends on free agency, a lot of it depends on the draft and those kinds of things, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. I think you don't want to shut any door before it's time, so to speak.