Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/28/2009

King: 'I'll make a lot of plays'

There's been some discussion already about what type of player the Lions got in new cornerback Eric King. He's only made three starts and doesn't have an interception in his NFL career, but King said he's looking forward to the opportunity to get on the field and finally prove his worth with the Lions.

“This is an opportunity for me,” King said Saturday after returning home from his overnight trip to Detroit. “I know all the naysayers got a lot of things talking about my arm and the fact that I was a backup and this and that. But I'm here to put my chest out and tell people that it's my time. I can get it done on the outside or the inside and you'll see, I'll make a lot of plays.”

King, Tennessee's dime back last year, broke his forearm each of the last two seasons. He said he's looking forward to playing again for new Lions coach Jim Schwartz, his defensive coordinator in Tennessee, and wasn't scared off by the Lions' winless season.

“I went to Wake Forest University and ... when I was there we started at the bottom and kind of brought the program back to where it is now,” King said. “That's something I've done in my football career, so I have no problems coming to an 0-16 team and trying to resurrect the franchise. As long as we got guys that are smart, that are willing to work hard and good listeners we'll be fine.”

King, by the way, spent one season at Wake Forest with linebacker Aaron Curry, the potential No. 1 pick in the April's draft.

“He redshirted my senior year so unfortunately I couldn't persuade Coach (Jim) Grobe pulling his redshirt off to help me out,” King said. “He's definitely developed into pretty much what I expected. Of course, people like to hype things but as far as his physique and his ability to play ball, that was expected from what I saw when he was a freshman at Wake Forest.”

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?

i'm starting to think there's more to the cutler to detroit talk than i first thought:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cutler.nfl.2.946829.html

5:02 PM 
Blogger bonadonnav said...

Hello, the lions recieved Anthony Henry for Jon Kitna. That is all.

5:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

king worries me....sounds like he could be another charles rogers with his broken forearm 2 years in a row.

we'll see what happens, but the jury's out on him.

5:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the broncos have some damage control to do with cutler. there's a damn good possibility that the relationship is unrepairable now and that opens the door a little wider for him to land in detroit. i hope maywand find a way to get him here.

5:51 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home