Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

12/18/2008

Love in an elevator

Yesterday it was Good Morning America, today it's ESPN. The Lions' pursuit of imperfection has gone national, and not just to a sports-centric audience either.

Two of this country's most recognizable shows/stations have stopped in on Lions practice this week to chronicle the mess that is the organization. The Lions are 0-14, two losses from the first 0-16 season in NFL history, and everybody wants a peak at the carnage.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli said Thursday the extra attention that comes with losing – and losing and losing – has not been a distraction to him or his players. The Lions host New Orleans (7-7) in their home finale Sunday.

“What I always do, and it's just me, certain things are meaningless to me,” Marinelli said. “Certain things are like elevator music. And this is elevator music to me. I don't mean that offensive to you, it is. So I get in the elevator, go up to floor five, I don't remember the music that was playing. As soon as I leave here I don't remember.”

Marinelli said he tries to impart that message on his players, though there's some evidence (beyond just human nature) that his “great ability to turn the station” is not shared by all. Remember Mike Furrey last year telling the media to kiss his butt after a 4-2 start? And just this week, running back Kevin Smith said he “was ready to tell everybody off after we got that win” when the Lions tied the score at 21 in last week's loss to Indianapolis.

“Each man is his own man,” Marinelli said. “I coach football and I try to get a bunch of men working on the same wavelength each and every day and I think what really matters is what you're doing on the field. All that stuff outside, after the ball's kicked off, you think anybody remembers that?”

Linebacker Ryan Nece said players recognize why they're at the center of increased media curiosity, but that's neither distracting nor motivating.

“I can't speak for everybody, but I would hope that it doesn't take ESPN or Good Morning America for us to be motivated to not create history,” Nece said. “I think that creating history on your own in a negative light is motivation enough to stay positive and to try to be on the positive side.”

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home