Five things we learned about Lions and next week's NFL draft
Five things learned about the Lions and the upcoming draft from general manager Martin Mayhew on Thursday:
1. Mayhew said that running back Jahvid Best (concussion) has been doing conditioning and working out with the other players this week. That doesn’t mean he’s been cleared to practice, but it’s a step.
2. With the 23rd draft pick, Mayhew said there are between four and seven guys they feel comfortable with and who would be “great fits.”
3. Mayhew’s draft strategy remains the same: “It’s the best player for us, the player that fits us the best that’s the guy we’re looking to take.’’
4. The Lions have just two quarterbacks signed. Drew Stanton signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts. Mayhew said if it makes sense they could draft a quarterback in the later rounds, but it won’t happen in the first round. If they don’t draft one, they’ll pick up another quarterback as a free agent.
5. Mayhew said there hasn’t been much trade talk about their first-round pick at No. 23.
(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Get Lions news delivered directly to your phone by texting the keyword "Lions" to 22700. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.)