Camp to be increasingly accessible
It may still be a far cry from the throngs that showed up for camps at Saginaw Valley State University years ago, but the Lions organization is trying to make training camp a fan-friendly experience again.
Fans will be allowed access — 700 at a time — to 18 practice sessions while the Lions are in training camp at their Allen Park facility, as well as invited to an open public practice called "Lions Uncaged!" at Ford Field on Saturday, Aug. 8.
Access for the Allen Park practices will be on a first-come, first-served basis and gates will open 30 minutes prior to each practice session. Beginning Wednesday, tickets for "Lions Uncaged!" will be available at outlets of SVS Vision Optical Centers, the presenting sponsor for the event, which will feature a 45-minute autograph session at noon, followed by practice at 1 p.m. Information was also distributed Wednesday for three additional practices reserved for season ticket holders, suite holders and sponsors.
The Lions drew more than 100,000 fans during some of the years of camp at Saginaw Valley, but have steadily worked to increase the access to fans since moving to the Allen Park facility.
The schedule of open practices:
- Wednesday, Aug. 5 (2) — 9 a.m.; 3:15 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 6 — 9 a.m.
- Friday, Aug. 7 (2) — 9 a.m.; 3:15 p.m.
- Sunday, Aug. 9 — p.m. practice TBA
- Monday, Aug. 10 — a.m. practice TBA
- Tuesday, Aug. 11 (2) — a.m. and p.m. practices TBA
- Wednesday, Aug. 12 — a.m. practice TBA
- Thursday, Aug. 13 (2) — a.m. and p.m. practices TBA
- Monday, Aug. 17 — p.m. practice TBA
- Tuesday, Aug. 18 (2) — a.m. and p.m. practices TBA
- Wednesday, Aug. 19 — a.m. practice TBA
- Thursday, Aug. 20 (2) — a.m. and p.m. practices TBA