Mock draft: Final take
All's quiet on the Matt Stafford front for now. I know it's been reported the deadline to get a deal done is today, and while I can't confirm that, I remain confident the two sides will iron out their final differences soon. The Lions want Stafford, Stafford wants to be a Lion. Both sides will see to it that it happens.
Now on to my final mock draft. I don't do projected trades so I have Mark Sanchez going lower than most, but I can't see him falling tomorrow. Beyond that, I have the Lions with a little surprise at 33 only because I couldn't find a place for him earlier in the draft.
1. Lions: QB Matt Stafford, Georgia Jim Schwartz gets his replacement for Bobby Layne from Layne's old high school.
2. Rams: OT Jason Smith, Baylor No more Orlando Pace means Smith or Eugene Monroe is the pick here.
3. Chiefs: OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia Scott Pioli keeps close to the vest, but Matt Cassel needs protection.
4. Seahawks: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest Curry replaces Julian Peterson at the position that suits him best.
5. Browns: DE Brian Orakpo, Texas If Braylon Edwards is traded, Browns can get his replacement later.
6. Bengals: OT Andre Smith, Alabama When all's said and done, Smith might be the draft's best tackle.
7. Raiders: WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri Raiders keen on giving JaMarcus Russell the proper weapons.
8. Jacksonville: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech Torry Holt doesn't solve all of Jacksonville's needs at receiver.
9. Packers: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College Draft's best defensive tackle will haunt Lions for years to come.
10. 49ers: QB Mark Sanchez, USC Expect someone to trade up and take Sanchez before 10.
11. Bills: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss Jason Peters deal means Bills need a tackle desperately.
12. Broncos: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU Broncos are determined to fortify the AFC's worst defense.
13. Redskins: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee Play Ayers next to Haynesworth and get out of the way.
14. Saints: CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State Jenkins could go No. 9 to the Packers.
15. Texans: LB Brian Cushing, USC First of three Trojan linebackers ticketed for Round 1.
16. Chargers: OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State Shawne Merriman's got one year left on his contract; Maybin's the future.
17. Jets: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State If Jets pass, Freeman could fall to the end of the first.
18. Broncos: OLB Everette Brown, Florida State I think I'd rather have Jay Cutler.
19. Buccaneers: DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss Talented tackle gives new-look Bucs an infusion of youth up front.
20. Lions: LB Rey Maualuga, USC If Maualuga's gone, Lions should trade down or draft Ziggy Hood.
21. Eagles: RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia Moreno, Bryant Westbrook give Eagles deadly 1-2 punch.
22. Vikings: OT Eben Britton, Arizona Vikings need a fix at right tackle, could go receiver instead.
23. Patriots: LB Clay Matthews, USC Patriots have 11 selections in draft, far fewer holes.
24. Falcons: CB Vontae Davis Falcons need help at outside linebacker and in the secondary.
25. Dolphins: RB Beanie Wells, Ohio State Parcells goes best player available; Ronnie Brown could be traded.
26. Ravens: WR Percy Harvin, Florida Someone will gamble on Harvin's immense talent late in Round 1.
27. Colts: DT Evander Hood, Missouri Colts got gashed against the run last year. Hood will help.
28. Bills: DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech Bills had just 24 sacks last year; Johnson's athleticism worth a gamble.
29. Giants: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland Jets a possibility for Heyward-Bey if they pass on Freeman.
30. Titans: CB Darius Butler, UConn Butler will contribute in the secondary, return game.
31. Cardinals: RB LeSean McCoy, Pitt If Anquan Boldin gets traded, Arizona needs a receiver.
32. Steelers: C Alex Mack, Cal Mack can play guard or center; Steelers have Big Ben's best interests in mind.
33. Lions: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State - Lions have other needs, but Pettigrew's too good to pass if he falls.