Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

4/26/2008

Draft day blog: Jordon Dizon's guarantee

Just wrapped up a conference call with second-round pick, linebacker Jordon Dizon from Colorado. The Lions are done for the day have filled two of their needs and have seven picks on Day 2 of the draft Sunday, including the third pick of the second round.

Dizon is a native of Hawaii and one of the most productive tacklers in Colorado history. He'll have an opportunity to start immediately at middle linebacker next year. Here's a sampling of his talk with the media, my last blog for the night before I finish the rest of my work for tomorrow's paper.

His thoughts on joining the Lions: “Love it. I'm excited. I'm very excited. I'm a water person. You guys got the Great Lakes, so that'll be fun for me."

On how his visit with Detroit went: "They love players that can play. They don't like players who BS them or stuff like that and I came here, I told them exactly how I felt and what exactly was on my mind and I guess they liked that. They know they'll get the best out of me. Whatever happened there, it worked."

On what he said on his visit: "It's really about me. I told them, 'Hey, I'm a small guy that you'll get the best out of me every play that I play. I didn't bull— them at all and they liked that. That was nice for me."

On playing with a chip on his shoulder: "When I was in Hawaii, let's be honest I was the biggest guy there. And I came to Colorado and I was 6 feet, 190 pounds and started at linebacker every game since I've been there. Every time someone goes he's too small, he's too small to be great, he's too small to do this and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. After a while you get sick of it and you go, 'Hey, I don’t think size matters here after a while."

On if he's big enough to play middle linebacker in the NFL: "Oh yeah. I played in college and you say play middle linebacker in college is different than the NFL. I played in the Big 12. That's a pretty tough conference to play in and half the guys you play against here (on the) offensive line, maybe a quarter of them go to the NFL. I did it in college, I did it in the Big 12 and I'm pretty sure I can do it in the NFL. I'm actually guaranteeing I can do it in the NFL."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home