Quick impressions from Detroit Lions rookie minicamp
|Lions rookie running backs at camp on Friday.|
- First-round pick guard Laken Tomlinson finished every drill, kept going and going almost running into this reporter. (See video). Looks solid, but not that much bigger than the other offensive linemen.
- It’s really odd seeing someone new wearing No. 90. Defensive tackle Gabe Wright wore 90 in college at Auburn and asked to wear it with the Lions. Looked solid in line drills.
- Running back Ameer Abdullah (second-round pick from Nebraska) ran the ladder drills smoothly like he’s done it a million times before. (See video)
- Undrafted running back Zach Zenner (South Dakota State) ran drills next to fullback Mike Barton and they looked about the same size. Zenner listed at 5-11 and 223 while Barton is 6-0, 230 pounds.
- Coaches had players repeat some of the drills — that’s why they have a rookie minicamp. Some mistakes or unfamiliarity wouldn’t be tolerated a few weeks from now when they're practicing with the veterans.
(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Pre-order her new book “Game of My Life Detroit Lions” which will be be published in October on Amazon.com. Also order her book, “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here.)