It’s not just the Lions’ third preseason game, it’s more like a dress rehearsal for the regular season. Starters will mostly play the first half against the Jacksonville Jaguars. It will be interesting to see how the defense and offense perform. But this game is key for guys battling for a spot on the 53-man roster.
Here are five Lions to watch tonight:
1. Running back MIkel Leshoure needs a solid effort to strengthen his chances of making the roster. Watch for him not just with the ball but also on special teams. George Winn has been solid. He had more carries and more snaps on special teams against the Raiders than Leshoure did.
2. Wide receiver Ryan Broyles is off to an explosive start in preseason action, but he needs to keep it up. Jim Caldwell is looking for consistency. It’s a tight battle for the fourth and fifth wide receiver spot and Broyles is in the mix. Another good game will help.
3. Nick Fairley will make the roster but as a starter or backup? The defensive tackle has been demoted to second string since the first preseason game. He needs to prove to the coaches he’s serious.
4. Safety Jerome Couplin has made some nice plays, but safety is a tough position for a rookie especially one from a small college (William & Mary). Again, consistency is key here. He needs to give the coaches a reason to keep him around.
5. Cornerback Chris Greenwood has a solid chance of making the roster in his third season. He’s had a good camp, but the battle is on with Cassius Vaughn, Jonte Green, Nevin Lawson, Aaron Hester and Mohammed Seisay.
(Kickoff at Ford Field is at 7:30 p.m. The game will be televised on WXYZ-TV in metro Detroit.)