Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

6/11/2014

Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell passionate but not a screamer


ALLEN PARK — For the most part since Jim Caldwell has been hired, we’ve heard him speak but haven’t seen him coach much.

With the three-day mandatory minicamp, which started on Tuesday, that is beginning to change.

Caldwell, unlike Jim Schwartz, is not a screamer.

“The fact of the matter is, it doesn’t matter if you’re yelling and screaming because first of all, they tune you out after a certain point in time,’’ Caldwell said on Tuesday. “I played for guys when I was playing and guys were screaming and yelling. Pretty soon that sounded like his normal, audible tone and you end up ignoring it. So, when I have to go up and octave or two, I guarantee you it will have a little bit different response than most people in that regard, and I do from time to time.”

He said he’s not always even keeled.

“I’m passionate about what I do, even in terms of practice. What I feel really is that I do instruction in the classroom, I do instruction when we have our team meetings and I tell them what I want,’’ Caldwell said.

“Then we go out and see if we can get it done. Today, we’ll grade it, we’ll look at it and if I didn’t get exactly what I want, I’ll point that out on film. I’ll show them what I want, we’ll come back out and we’ll go at it again. That’s kind of how we work and how we operate. There’s no need for a whole lot of cussing, screaming, yelling and all that kind of stuff. It’s a mini quiz out here. I never had any of my professors yelling in my ear when I was sitting at the desk filling out those multiple-choice questions.”

Day Two of mandatory minicamp begins at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book,  “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home