Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/01/2014

Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford won't attend Super Bowl until he plays in it


Not only is Matthew Stafford too superstitious to attend a Super Bowl until he plays in one, this weekend he is far away from New York.

The Detroit Lions quarterback was interviewed on UK TalkSPORT radio in London on Friday. Stafford is in London to promote the Lions' game against the Atlanta Falcons on Oct. 26 at Wembley Stadium.

“I’ve never been to the  game, a lot of players do this. They don’t want to go to the game unless they play in it,’’ Stafford told UK TalkSPORT. “That’s how I feel about it. 

“Same way I won’t go to Hawaii. I don’t want to go to Hawaii until I play in the Pro Bowl where they take the all-star teams. ... I’ve been to the weeks leading up to (the Super Bowl), done the media, been to the parties, then Sunday watch in my hotel room or fly home,’’ he added.

He doesn’t want to go until he’s earned it.

“Nothing against it, I don’t want to be a fan, that’s my job that’s what I do I play, I want to make sure when I go to the game that I’m suiting up and trying to win it,’’ Stafford said in the extended interview.

They asked if he had a message for Lions’ fans.

“It’s going to be a great day one day when we’re playing in this thing and winning it, knowing where we came from, knowing I got drafted there after we were 0-16, the worst team in the history of the NFL, and be able to make it to the Super Bowl and be able to win it one day is going to be a great feeling,’’ Stafford said in the interview.

The London radio hosts had done their homework on Stafford and cited all his records including the fact he’s one of only five NFL quarterbacks to ever reach 5,000 passing yards in one season.

“Everybody wants to make it to the Super Bowl. I’d happily trade in all those yards and touchdowns for a chance to play this Sunday,’’ Stafford told them. “I think pretty much everybody in the league would say they same thing — it’s a once-in-a-lifetime, maybe twice if you’re Peyton Manning. Everybody from a fourth-grade kid growing up in Texas, that’s your dream.’’

They also pushed him on who he thinks will win. Stafford picked the Broncos.

"I’m a huge fan of Peyton Manning, I’m hoping they pull it out,'' Stafford said.


(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book,  “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home