Five things we learned about the Lions this week
Five things we learned about the Lions this week:
1. The offensive line is in full-out serious work mode during workouts. Left guard Rob Sims said Jeff Backus is hanging in there with the rookies. With the addition of first-round pick Riley Reiff, Backus and Gosder Cherilus know they have to be at their best to keep their starting roles. Reiff could push them both. Sims said he expects Backus to be back at left tackle.
2. Rob Sims is definitely huskier with the addition of 20 pounds, but like he said it’s not “a sloppy 20 pounds.”
3. After five weeks of workouts, the players are ready to take it to the next level. They’ll do just that on Monday for the start of OTAs. Sims said he’s ready to hit someone, that won’t happen next week but it’s getting closer.
4. Reports continue that Mikel Leshoure is coming along well after Achilles surgery in August. Sims said Leshoure looks like he did last year prior to the injury. Good sign for the running game.
5. It’s just possible some of the Lions are working on their bocce games this week. Many of them will play bocce during their fundraiser on Wednesday (May 23) at Palazzo di Bocce in Orion Township. For ticket information, see DetroitLions.com for info.
(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Get Lions news delivered directly to your phone by texting the keyword "Lions" to 22700. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.)