5 questions for the Lions on opening day of free agency
Five questions for the Lions on the first day of free agency. The fun begins at 4 p.m. Here we go:
1. Will they get Stephen Tulloch signed or will he find greener pastures elsewhere? The middle linebacker is a hot commodity. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him make a decision today. Will it be Detroit? Seattle? Elsewhere?
2. What’s taking so long to sign Jeff Backus? The left tackle wants to return for his 12th season with the Lions and the team has made it clear they want him back. Perhaps they had to clear salary cap space first.
3. How close are they to getting an extension done for Calvin Johnson? His cap hit for 2012 is $22 million. A new contract and restructuring will roll that back and give the team much-needed cap space.
4. Again, the Lions said they want backup quarterback Shaun Hill to return, but so far nothing. Again, salary cap space was an issue until Monday and actually will be until something gets done with Calvin Johnson. Hill provides the insurance they need at the most critical position.
5. They’ve promised they won’t be making a big splash on opening day of free agency. I believe them. But what positions will they target first? Depth is an issue at several spots.
(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Get Lions news delivered directly to your phone by texting the keyword "Lions" to 22700. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.)