5 things Lions must do to beat Chargers
Here are five things the Lions (9-5) must do to beat the San Diego Chargers (7-7) to clinch a wild-card playoff berth.
1. Throw the ball to Calvin Johnson. This is not rocket science. The Lions can win a game without getting the ball to him much (see win over Vikings). But they improve their chances of winning when they do (see win at Oakland).
2. Matthew Stafford must play like he did the final seven minutes at Oakland. The offensive line must continue to give him time.
3. The defensive line must get to quarterback Philip Rivers early and often especially with the Lions a little thin at defensive back. Safety Louis Delmas and cornerback Aaron Berry are doubtful.
4. Get points on the board early. Those comebacks make for good TV, but it could be much tougher against the Chargers.
5. Maintain the cool that has allowed the Lions to win nine games and be on the verge of the playoffs.
Prediction: Lions 28, Chargers 24
Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Get Lions news delivered directly to your phone by texting the keyword "Lions" to 22700. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.)