5 things Lions must do to beat 49ers
Here are five things the Lions (5-0) must do to beat the San Francisco 49ers (4-1) at Ford Field on Sunday. Kickoff 1 p.m.
1. The Lions must stop the 49ers ‘ running game, force them to pass making them one-dimensional. Detroit’s defense against the run is ranked 12th in the NFL and rising.
2. Matthew Stafford’s uniform barely got dirty in the win over the Bears. He needs to continue to have time to look downfield and find you-know-who.
3. Jahvid Best’s breakthrough 88-yard touchdown run was exceptional, he also had a 43-yard scamper in the best running game of his short career (163 yards on 12 carries). The Lions need to look at what happened and create the same holes again.
4. Get the ball to Calvin Johnson. He only had one touchdown last week, but along with that he had four other catches and averaged 26 yards per catch.
5. On Monday night, Nate Burleson ran out of the smoke-filled tunnel with boxing gloves draped around his neck in homage to Michael Buffer who was announcing the players. Perhaps he should wear them again Sunday to remind his teammates to keep fighting. They need to maintain that hungry attitude and I expect they will.
Prediction: Lions 24, 49ers 21