5 things Lions must do to beat winless Bills
This could be a dangerous game. The Bills are desperately seeking their first win while the Lions are looking to move forward with Shaun Hill at quarterback.
Here are five things the Lions must do to win:
1. Run the ball effectively. This has not been happening. Right guard Stephen Peterman said they are close, but all 11 guys on offense must play their roles to get the running game in gear. It should help that the Bills are the worst in the league at defending the run.
2. Protect the quarterback. Obviously this is the goal each game, but Shaun Hill is just four weeks away from breaking his left forearm. If he gets smashed into, it could be bad news.
3. Don’t miss tackles. Last Sunday the defense tackled well for the first 58 minutes or so, then fell apart which helped cost the Lions the win. At the end they were trying to go for the kill instead of using leverage and playing smart.
4. Stop the big plays. Again, it takes just one or two big plays to lose a game. See 23-20 overtime loss to Jets last week.
5. Forget about the road losing streak which is at 24 straight, tied for the NFL record. Most of the Lions don’t give it much thought because they were not here for most of it. But even those who are in their second season have their hand in a dozen of them.
Prediction: Lions 28, Bills 10
(Follow me on Twitter @PaulaPasche.)