Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

2/05/2009

Bodden: 'Mutual decision' to part ways

Lions cornerback Leigh Bodden spent about 20 minutes on Sirius NFL Radio's “The Sirius Blitz” show Thursday. Among the topics he discussed were his pending release and the Lions' 0-16 season. The highlights:

• What he thought when he was told he'd be released next week: “It didn't come as any surprise. From the beginning when I was in Detroit it just didn't seem like it fit and I think everybody around there knew it. And it was just a mutual decision to just part ways.”

• On why things didn't work out in Detroit: “I don't put any blame on anybody. I guess it was a unique situation for those guys, that's what they were telling me because they had Brian Kelly and Travis Fisher and me. That's what they were telling me. But I don't really fault anybody. What's done is done and I'm just ready to move on and play great football for the rest of my career. Somewhere. Wherever.”

• How he explains the losing culture in Detroit: “You know what, I believe it just starts from the top down. That's pretty much what's been the issue with Detroit. Cleveland to me was a good organization. As far as coming from Cleveland to go to Detroit, I felt like Cleveland, that's the only place I've been, but I felt like their organization was pretty decent. But it just starts from the top down and trickles all the way down to the players, I believe.”

• On if there was division among the ranks with the Lions last year: “I don't want to say divided but I don't think everybody was on the same page, to tell you the truth. That's what I felt and that's what I saw, especially in my situation. I can only speak from my situation and that's what I felt.”

• If he was disappointed or relieved to learn of his release: “It would have been great to be a part of something with Jim Schwartz and what he's going to try to do with the team. I talked to him right after he got hired and it sounds like he's going to do a pretty good job, but what's done is done in Detroit. I can't really say I'm glad to leave because you never know what's going to happen, but I just want to be in a situation where I can play for a coach that's going to try to get the best out of me and really likes the way I play and a coach that I can play hard for every game. Hopefully I can find that this coming year and just have a great year and just help my team win.”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home