Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

11/06/2007

Shaun Rogers speaks

Shaun Rogers has a distant relationship with the media. He doesn't usually do interviews, declined to talk with reporters after scoring on a 66-yard interception return in Sunday's 44-7 win over Denver, but did sit down Tuesday morning for about four minutes with ESPN's "First Take."

Among the highlights of Rogers' fourth interview of the year:

- He said he snuck a peak at the Ford Field replay board during his return long enough to see Broncos running back Selvin Young swooping in for the potential touchdown-saving tackle. "I whipped my hand around and there he was," Rogers said. "I just tried to put it out there, put the big arm out there, keep him at bay long enough to get in the end zone."

- The big defensive tackle, listed generously at 340 pounds, said he didn't recall much of the end zone celebration, when he was mobbed by teammates after leaping across the goal line. "Man, I really wasn't hearing nothing. I was trying to get some oxygen and sit down. It seemed like the longest walk of the day" back to the bench.

- When he got to the bench, Rogers mimed like he was eating out of fellow tackle Shaun Cody's hands. What was he eating? "Something to give me some energy. Whatever. Power pellets. I needed some energy back after that."

- Host Jay Crawford asked Rogers about his potential as a short-yardage back like William "The Refrigerator" Perry. "Well, you know, I lobbied for that a couple times but (Rod Marinelli) feels I have a bigger role trying to stop the run than making runs," Rogers said.

- On where the Lions rank among the NFL's top teams: "I don't say we rank anywhere among the NFC elite. I just think we're a team trying to make a turnaround and taking it week by week, play by play, snap by snap, and I think we're doing a good job of that. We haven't had our best game to date, I don't think. And we're just still trying to build on the progress and the foundation Rod has set and just trying to move forward."

- On quarterback Jon Kitna's 10-wins-or-bust prediction: "Well, you know that's my guy and I was going to have to stand by him. Kind of begrudgingly I was like, 'Why are you going to put a lot of pressure on myself?' But that statement has been a part of the foundation for us this whole season, 10 games and we're going to do everything to live up to that expectation."

- And finally, on how many games the Lions, 6-2 entering Sunday's trip to Arizona, can win: "We can win as many as we allow ourselves to win. As long as we don't go out there, make a lot of mental errors, give up big plays, and our offense continues to run the rock and make the big passes they make, we can win them all. We have limitless expectations and we're just going to go out there and play our hearts out and try to do the best we can do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home