Blogs > Lions Lowdown

One thing you can count on with the Detroit Lions is that they are never, ever boring. Follow the latest news including injuries, roster moves and more here daily from Oakland Press beat writer Paula Pasche. Plus you'll find regular commentary about the team.

8/20/2006

Top 25 - Trojans start at the top

The first AP Top 25 poll was released Friday and the only consensus is there is no consensus No. 1. Personally, I was one of three voters who gave USC the nod, but in my mind there are at least 11 teams with a shot at winning the national title this year. I would have voted Oklahoma No. 1 if the Sooners hadn't lost starting quarterback Rhett Bomar to NCAA violations. Miami could make a case for No. 1 if its best running back and top receiver weren't suspended for the opener against Florida State. Florida has tons of talent but the nation's toughest schedule. West Virginia, Notre Dame and Ohio State all have obvious issues. And while I like Auburn a lot I figure the SEC is a much tougher haul than the Pac 10. So I voted USC No. 1 in the most wide-open year I can remember. The Trojans play lots of quality opponents (most of them at home) but only one top-10 caliber team (Notre Dame). Their talent at the skill positions is sick, even if some of it's a bit young. And Pete Carroll, for my money, is still the best coach around. Did you see him dress up as Ricky Bobby the other day to bring some life to camp? Not many other coaches in the country could pull that off. As for Michigan and Michigan State, I ranked the Wolverines No. 14 and didn't give the Spartans a vote. Both have big games in Week 3, Michigan at Notre Dame and MSU at Pitt, that will go a long way towards determining their season. Our college football preview section hits newsstands Sept. 1, and the rest of my top 25 will be in there. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home